Is it possible?
Can we plan ahead for a ‘good death’?
In these times of uncertainty perhaps any death will be tragic. Too soon.
This week – from 23 March 2020 – our Australian communities are being encouraged to talk about, and to plan for, a good death.
Whilst our health professionals swing into action – to provide help and support and treatment for us in need – we can also use this time to consider getting our affairs in order.
What does that mean?
Perhaps write some things down. Written directions, information and wishes can be useful to guide our choices. We can assist you to prepare three legal documents:
- Your Appointment of Medical Treatment Decision Maker – who will give direction to medical professionals – when you are unable to give or refuse consent to treatment.
- Your Enduring Power of Financial and Personal Attorney, who will act for you when you are unable to transact legal or financial matters
- Your Will – to guide people as to your wishes after your death
Here at Halliday Solicitors, we are committed to working with our communities in times of change. We encourage you to look at our Resources page. In addition to helping you prepare your legal documents, we provide three useful resources.
- A Willmaker’s Record – which when completed – provides useful information for your executor.
- Planning Ahead for a Good Death which provides a series of questions for you to consider and discuss with your appointed Medical Treatment Decision Maker.
- Advance Care Directive. Consider setting out your values to guide future decision making.
Take care out there
Principal Legal Director
21 March 2020